The workshop includes seminars, hands-on laboratory activities, field visits, and collaborative work time. Participants will interact with other teachers, researchers, and industry professionals and will leave with the ability to teach basic Bioenergy and Bioproducts concepts. Furthermore, participants will understand how to conduct and present the hands-on activities in their own classroom.
Participants are encouraged to work with other teachers in their schools/districts to develop collaborative projects aimed at introducing students to the topics of Bioenergy and Bioproducts.
- Participants selected to participate in the National STEM Teachers workshop 2015 receive the following support:
- $350 stipend
- Travel allowance of up to $800 reimbursement with receipts
- Lodging Monday - Wednesday nights
- Transportation to/from tour site and between hotel and Wings of Eagles Discovery Center
- Monday welcome reception, buffet dinner, Tuesday meals and breaks, Wednesday meals and breaks, Thursday breakfast and lunch.
- Approximately $400 in Program materials, including a Bioenergy & Bioproducts Primer and kits to bring back to your classroom.
- Suite of laboratory activities, including lab workbook and materials
Educators in the Workshop will leave with the ability to teach basic bioenergy and bioproducts concepts to students and other teachers in their school using hands-on activities provided by the program.
These workshops bring teachers together every summer to learn about recent research in biology and to promote interactions between teachers and Cornell scientists. Each workshop includes presentations from scientists and engineers and industry experts, hands-on lab and field activities, and opportunities for teachers to interact with other teachers and researchers.